If you are thinking about correcting your vision with LASEK eye surgery, perhaps the most important decision you will make is your choice of surgeon. The experience and skill of your surgeon directly influence the success of your procedure. Here are some recommendations to help you find the right LASEK surgeon:
Get Referrals from Former LASEK Patients – Ask friends and family members that have had good experiences with LASEK for the names of their surgeons. You can also ask your primary care physician or regular eye doctor to refer you to a respected LASEK surgeon.
Do Your Research – Once you have some names, spend time on the surgeons’ websites to learn more about their background and credentials. Double-check that they are board-certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology which indicates that they have received the proper education and training and passed rigorous testing of their knowledge.
What to Look for In a Surgeon – When selecting a surgeon to perform your LASEK surgery, it’s important that they have a number of qualities, including the following:
- Experience: Ideally, your LASEK surgeon should have performed at least several thousand successful procedures. This type of experience signifies that they have acquired the techniques and knowledge necessary for safe, effective treatment.
- Technology: Leading edge technology improves the safety, predictability and precision of LASEK surgery. Don’t settle for someone that offers outdated technology.
- Trustworthiness: Truthfully, LASEK is not right for everyone, and the best surgeons are not hesitant to screen out people that are not good candidates. A surgeon with a reputation for performing LASEK on everyone is not meeting industry standards and should be avoided.
- Low Pressure: Sought-after LASEK surgeons never pressure patients into treatment. If you meet with a surgeon that puts the pressure on you to have LASEK, you should find someone else.
- Honesty: Great LASEK surgeons are honest and upfront about the possible risks and limitations of LASEK. Beware of the surgeon that overpromises and guarantees you perfection.
- Comfort: Your LASEK surgeon should make you feel completely comfortable. They should never rush you or ignore your concerns. They should want to answer your questions and educate you about your options so you can decide what’s best for your needs.
If you would like to meet the qualified, experienced LASEK surgeons at BoozmanHof in Rogers, contact us today by calling 800-428-3937 or visiting boozmanhof.com.