People who struggle with vision issues often wonder if a laser vision correction procedure such as LASEK might be a better option for them than glasses or contact lenses. For those who take the next step to consider LASEK eye surgery, frequently the first question that comes to mind is: How Safe is LASEK?
By every scientific and clinical standard, LASEK is among the safest elective procedures available today. That doesn’t mean that there aren’t any risks and it isn’t necessarily right for every person. A few basic facts that many patients find comforting include:
- LASEK has been around for nearly 20 years.
- The procedure was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in 1999
- LASEK’s longevity and sustained popularity is due largely to its impressive record for both safety and effectiveness.
- Millions of LASEK procedures have been performed in the U.S. with very high patient satisfaction in visual outcomes.
- The rate of complications from LASEK eye surgery is estimated to be less than 1% which makes it one of the safest elective surgical procedures available today.
LASEK is a safe and effective option for vision correction. Having concerns about the safety of the surgery and your eyesight is normal. You owe it to yourself and your vision to research the procedure thoroughly, so you fully understand the risks and benefits.
In addition to independently researching the procedure using credible sources for information, having a thorough evaluation and a thoughtful conversation with Our Doctors in Rogers is the best way to find out if LASEK is right for you.
Contact BoozmanHof at 479-246-1700 or website to schedule a LASIK consultation today.